DEPARTMENT OF DISABILITY AND THE ELDERLY
The Department of Disability and the Elderly is one of the 9 Departments in the Ministry of Gender, Community Development and Social Welfare. The overall objective of the Department is to coordinate implementation of disability and elderly programmes in the country.
To promote the inclusion of persons with disabilities and older persons at all levels of society through the creation of an enabling environment for the respect of diversity, human rights and the participation in the socio-economic development.
The Department is mandated to promote the quality of life for persons with disabilities and older persons by ensuring that their rights are protected so that they fully participate in the national development.
- Provision of policy direction, guidance, over-sight, coordination, facilitation, backstopping, monitoring and evaluation
- Facilitation of mainstreaming of disability and elderly issues in public and private sector
- Promotion and protection of rights of persons with disabilities and older persons
- Ensuring the empowerment of persons with disabilities and older persons socially and economically
- Coordination and monitoring implementation of programmes for persons with disabilities and older persons by various stakeholders in the country
- Developing and implementing social protection programmes for persons with disabilities and the elderly
- Capacity building of key stakeholders on disability and ageing
- Promoting research, education and training on disability and ageing
- Spearheading the development and review of legal frameworks for persons with disabilities and the elderly.